Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Coming Up Roses by Staci Hart





My girl, Staci Hart, is back with a new tale of love and...roses. Yes, I did that. If you have been following me for a while, you will know I am a huge fan of Staci and have enjoyed her books ever since I read A Thousand Letters. That books was one of my favorites of last year and ugh I just love it. Well, she is back with a new book titled Coming Up Roses which was released on August 1st. What better way to start the month with a new book. That's enough chit chat...
Let's get to the review!
Bitmoji Image

First Synopsis:

Everyone hates parts of their job.


Maybe it’s the paperwork. Maybe it’s the day-to-day grind. Maybe it’s that client who never knows what they want, or the guy who always cooks fish in the microwave.

But not me. I love every corner of the Longbourne Flower Shop, every flower, every petal, every stem. I love the greenhouse, and I love Mrs. Bennet, my boss. I love creating, and I love being a florist. I don’t hate anything at all.

Except for Luke Bennet.
The Bennet brothers have come home to help their mom save the flower shop, and Luke is at the helm. His smile tells a tale of lust, loose and easy. He moves with the grace of a predator, feral and wild. A thing unbridled, without rules or constraint. 
When he comes home to save Longbourne, I almost can’t be mad at him. 
Almost.
He doesn’t remember that night I’ll never forget. That kiss, touched with whiskey and fire. It branded me like a red-hot iron. But it meant nothing to him.
Everyone hates part of their job, and I hate Luke Bennet.
Because if I don’t, I’ll fall in love with him.

So, Coming Up Roses was introduced as a standalone novel but I'm pretty sure it's going to come off as a series because of so many characters we were introduced. Especially the Bennet children (Yes, it is what you think it is). This is an enemies-to-lovers romance with a second-chance trope in it. Tess Monroe is loving her life and especially her job as a florist in the Bennet's flower shop. She loves everything about it, especially the Bennet family. Well, besides one person: Luke Bennet. Luke comes back to Longbourne to save the family business and he is surprised to find a Tess that seems to hate him. Does she really? Well, read the book and find out!
”She was as familiar to me as she was a discovery, the girl I’d known, the woman I’d come to need.”
Tess was endearing but the complete opposite of Luke in almost every single way. She definitely has her hurt pride and prejudices against Luke, and they are not unfounded. I did find their chemistry authentic. I like that Luke made Tess more outgoing and willing to take risk, and in exchange Tessa made Luke more settled and responsible. When it is revealed what caused a riff in their relationship...I'll be honest I was on my girl, Tess's side. She did what she had to do to protect her heart after he broke it.
You Go Girl
While the plot was not really filled with large surprises I was drawn in by the retelling of Pride and Prejudice. I thought her rendition of the Bennett family was spot on. I love the carefree nature of Luke as the youngest Bennett, the love arduous Mrs. Bennett, and even the father. I cannot wait to see what she does with the rest of these characters.

Not to mention on how Tess and Luke compliment each other. They balance each other perfectly. Where Tess needs to get more wild, Luke shows her how to live a little. And where Luke needs more stability learning to be dependable, Tess gives him exactly what he needs. Everything comes to them naturally and they just live with the flow without realizing it.

”She was as familiar to me as she was a discovery, the girl I’d known, the woman I’d come to need.”

Tess is real, beautiful, thoughtful, cautious, caring, loving. She gives with all her heart and is afraid to live her life a little more adventurous. But who can blame her? Aren’t we all afraid to get hurt or afraid of consequences? I love the way the opens up naturally after Luke is back in her life. It’s like two puzzle pieces fall back in place together. 

”Be wild. Because life is lived in the moments you don’t see coming”

Lucas is the perfect example that you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. You only see the top of the iceberg and you underestimate its depth. Can someone bake me a man like Lucas? I’d really like to meet him and fall in love with him.
Bitmoji Image

One character I couldn't stand and was glad she was gone from their lives was Wendy. I wanted to throw stuff at her so she can just let them be but nope. I love that Staci added her in this story because there are so many guys and women who find themselves 'trapped' with people like her. 

Spoiler: Working every day with Wendy at the flower shop and teaching her skills, offering her job security and benefits after she lied to Luke and tried to trap him by saying that the baby she carried was his. She did this because his previous actions always told her that she could manipulate him and that he would come running. He was reliable, honorable and would always be there if the baby was his. Had she not been caught she would have totally been fine with living this lie when her actions could have destroyed both Luke's and Tess's lives. I understand there was mental illness involved, but she still has to be accountable for her actions. There's also the fact that she mentioned oh so nonchalantly before she knew that Tess and Luke were together that she and Luke "did it" on almost every surface of the workshop. Some things can't be unknown.
”In this man was a heart too big to contain, with patience and love beyond the bounds of comprehension. And he was mine.”
Rating: ★★★☆☆
Overall, I enjoyed this book so much. It just proves me, once again, why Staci Hart has the fanbase that she has. Every story is different yet they carry so much truth in what some of us experience every day. The pace, the slow-burn, the natural interaction of all characters, the emotions, the story-flow, the well dosed drama that lead to the angsty part of the story and on and on I could go with this. Coming Up Roses is a beyond beautiful book with a strong message that everyone should read.
”Love happens in moments.”
Thanks for reading!
Please, share and follow for more content.
Hope your lucky stars look after you!
Bitmoji Image

Current Song: All For Us by Labrinth ft. Zendaya
Image result for All For Us by Labrinth ft. Zendaya
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© World ❈ of ❈ Tomes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig